Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sweet sweet kids!

Hi Sponsors!

I am so glad to be living in Haiti now, for several reasons, but a big reason is to be able to make more consistent trips to the school in Cite Soleil and spend more time getting to know our kiddos, and to be able to communicate better with you all as sponsors.

I caught them on the last day of exams for the quarter when I was there on Friday, so kids that had finished the day before were not at school that day. So only about 60% of you got new pictures from me this week. I plan to make a trip once school resumes again after the break to take photos of the kids I missed last week and to also collect letters they are writing to you!

Cite Soleil can be dangerous at times, so I appreciate your understanding that sometimes my schedule to be there has to change based on heightened violence in the area. Here are a few extra pictures I took the other day.

Enjoy!

I started our time together by asking how exams were and telling the kids what we would be doing that day. They were listening so intently :)

Sweet boys who loved the camera! 

Girls who could have posed all day long. Can you pick out your sponsored student?

I wore my green headband on purpose so I would match their uniforms! 

Funny kids being silly
This program means so much to these kids. Seeing all of their faces on a semi-regular basis confirms it for me. Without being in school, these kids would be doing nothing. Just sitting around, probably causing trouble out of severe boredom. And they are eating on a regular basis. Which, for many kids in Cite Soleil, is not the norm. They are precious and I love my days with them. 

Please be praying for
  • Violence in Cite Soleil. For reasons beyond my own understanding, Cite Soleil is a dangerous place much of the time. That means these kids, these smiling faces, are seeing that. Join me in praying that God would grab a strong hold to this dark area of Port-au-Prince and pour in His light and love. 
  • The future of the program. Because of the nature of Cite Soleil and the gang members who govern the area, it is a hard place to do ministry. Pray that God would give Heartline leadership clear direction and purpose for the future of this program. 
  • The kids! It is likely that these kids come from the poorest of the poor in Haiti. Poverty can mean not only physical hardships at home, but lack of emotional support and encouragement. Pray that these kids would feel the love of the Ultimate Comforter and would know that He is with them always.
Thank you for loving these kids by sending them to school. I wish you could all hug them like I can. 

~Allison

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the pictures and report on the students. I think I spotted Kervenson in the bottom picture. Am I right? We're very happy to help him get to go to school!

    ReplyDelete